Monday, December 21, 2009

Antigua, Guatemala: Video- 3 Minutes and 21 Seconds Inside My Spanish Immersion Class!


So if you have ever wondered what its like for me here in Spanish immersion school, now’s your chance to find out!


My instructor Fernando was nice enough to allow me to film this morning’s conversation so that I could post a little bit of what my experience has been like here at the school for my family and friends on my blog.


Although I’m in class all day learning grammar, vocabulary, and other fun stuff; each morning Fernando and I have about an hour or so of uninterrupted conversation to help progress my skills in speaking the language. I managed snip out about 3 minutes and 21 seconds of related material from today’s conversation in order to put together this video (and don’t worry I included a section where I made a HUGE mistake… ha ha!)


Also, you can really see in the video what a great teacher Fernando is by the way he helps me along in the conversation, and helps me to correct the thousand or so errors that I make everyday when speaking. So, with out further adieu, here’s the video along with a few of my thoughts on the different parts of the conversation…


Section 1: We started off the video by talking about a party that the teachers had for all of their children at the school on Saturday. As it so happens, I was walking back from the café that day, and as I passed the school I saw some of the teachers coming out of the party. We also mention in the conversation that it was really lucky that the party was held on Saturday because a huge storm rolled into Antigua the next day and it rained cats and dogs. The weather remained the topic of the rest of the video.


Section 2: So here’s where I made my HUGE mistake! We were talking about the storm and well, you know; the word “fuerte” really sounds a heck of a lot like “suerte” so I mean, what’s the problem… right?? Well, when you’re trying to say it was “raining really hard” (fuerte) and instead you say that it was “raining lucky” (suerte) people tend to get a little confused. Check out Fernando, he’s like …”What? (Como?) Suerte??” LOL!!


Section 3: This parts classic! So this morning it was cold and raining and I showed up to the class in my shorts. I’m a genius right? Well, Fernando was nice enough to say that I was muy “valiente” or “brave” for wearing shorts, but I think you can figure out that that wasn’t the case at all. ;)

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment