Sunday, January 17, 2010

El Remate, Guatemala: The Mayan Temples of Tikal



Update on my laptop situation: Ok, I got really lucky and it turns out that my power supply was not fried after all. I think I may have just blown up the faulty outlet in my “shack” while I was staying on the beach in Belize. So I chilled out there for about 4 days and had an amazing experience there (post coming soon). Yesterday, I took a 6 hour bus ride back across the border to Flores, and then another 9 hours bus ride overnight back down here to Guatemala City as I’m heading into El Salvador tomorrow. Anyway, I got in at 4am and was so haggard that I just decided to check into the Holiday Inn (which was $140us…Ouch!) rather than looking for a cheap hostel in the middle of the night in one of the most dangerous cities in the world. I decided to try my power supply in one of the outlets in my room and low and behold and it worked! Whooo! So I’m stoked and my laptops back in action and well, here the post back from last week on Tikal


After spending the last 10 weeks in Antigua learning Spanish, I decided to head about 9 hours up to Peten in Northern Guatemala to check out the Mayan Ruins of Tikal. The ruins date back to as early as 400BC, encompass more than 3,000 stone constructions, and are located in the midst of a dense jungle. Tikal was a massive city that supported as many as 90,000 inhabitants during the height of the Mayan civilization around 900AD.


Tikal has been featured in various motion pictures such as Star Wars among others, and really embodies a mythical quality that you cannot find anywhere else in the world. Walking trough the jungle along the various paths and causeways to the temples is as close to something straight out of an Indiana Jones movie as you’re going to get. There are all sorts of birds and monkeys, and just from the noise alone, you can really feel that the jungle itself is alive. It’s a bit strange too when you’re out there, because the Jungle has a really unusual smell. I want to say that it’s a crisp smell, kind of like the forest, but it’s really strange and very hard to describe.


So, as you make your way down the main causeway, you will have about a 20 minute walk to the entrance of the site where there are various paths that split off to each of the different temples throughout the ancient city. One great thing about Tikal is that it’s a “hands on” experience. Once you arrive at one of the massive temples you can actually climb up to the top! You’ll see in some of the pictures that I post below that I have some photos taken on top of temple IV, which is the tallest temple at the site, and it’s great because you can actually see temples I and II in the background and how high the temples rise above the jungle. The pictures also point out the density of the jungle itself as there is nothing that stands in between each of the temples but jungle. Tikal was a really amazing experience and something that I will never forget. I’ll let the pictures do the rest of the talking.


I also wanted to mention a little bit about El Remate, which is where I stayed during my trip to Peten. It’s located a long the beautiful shores of lake Peten Itza about half way between Flores and Tikal. It was a really beautiful place with horses, wild turkeys, chickens, pigs, and all sorts of other animals running around along the beautiful countryside. I stayed at “La Casa de Don David” right along the lake, and I would like to sincerely thank my friend Kelsey and her family for the warm wonderful hospitality which made my stay something I will remember for a long time. I have included a link below to La Casa de Don David if you’re curious about the accommodations, El Remate, or would just like to see some beautiful pics… http://www.lacasadedondavid.com/



5 comments:

  1. Hello Byron! I am one of the girls you met at the bus station to and at Flores. My name is Ines. You are living my dream! I look forward to reading more blogs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Hi Ines! How was your trip to Tikal? That place was totally amazing wasn't it!? We actually went there a couple of days after I saw you at 6am and had the park to ourselves!

    Thank you also for the comment and reading my Blog. I'm in Nicaragua right now and heading south for Panama. I'm going to try and update it regularly with my adventures. Take care and talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tikal was absolutely amazing. we stayed in a hotel in the park. so at 10pm the electricity was cut off and the black quite night was incredible, but spooky. beautiful.
    Have a great time. When will you be done with your trip?
    Ines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Yeah, i bet that was really cool because you could hear all the sounds of the jungle at the hotel.You're right too, the jungle can be totally spooky. I remember when we were walking down the path to temple IV at like 6am, I looked back a few times because I had the funny feeling something was following us. My friend looked at me at the same time too and said she could feel the exact same thing! We started to walk a little faster after that...LOL.

    Anyway, I don't really know how long my trip will last. I'm trying to get all the way back down to Buenos Aires stopping along the way to hang out at certain places. I think Colombia is going to be a major stop as I'm planning on living there for 2 months or so. That's going to be awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once you head for Tikal, everyone will tell you: Go there early in the morning, and see the sun rise on the jungle. Minibuses now leave Flores at 4 am, so that you can reach Tikal at 5 am, to be in time for the 6 am or so sunrise. Now here's our tip. Everyone goes to temple 4, which indeed offers a great view over the jungle. Unfortunately, we were there together with about 30 to 40 other noisy tourists, who couldn't stop talking, and spoilt part of the magic. Later we found out that there's another temple offering a great view. It's called the Pyramid of the Forgotten World (Mundo Perdido). So, go there instead of temple 4, and you'll have the jungle for yourself!

    ReplyDelete